Jacob Rees-Mogg has admitted to taking an opium derivative in his younger days, joining every other Tory leadership contender in confessing to drug use.
In an interview with The Strand magazine, which ceased publication in March 1950, Mogg (Rees) claimed that his habit was entirely due to the influence of a family domestic servant, who introduced him to tincture of laudanum in a final attempt to get him to shut up.
“I was just a skinny lad, never knew no good from bad,” he told Strand journalists. “But I knew Arkwright’s Patent Syrup of Opium before I left my nursery.”
“Left alone with big fat Fanny, she was such a naughty nanny, to be honest I think she only tried drugging me after strangulation didn’t work.”
The admission comes as Theresa May enjoys her final days in Downing Street, with a number of the prime minister’s Conservative colleagues vying to replace her.
Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Saturday, Mogg-Jason’s leadership rival Dominic Raab said he did not believe the admission would have an impact on Mogg-Rees-Jason’s chances in the leadership race. He said: “I certainly don’t see it barring him from this race in any way. I rather admire his honesty.”
Raab, who has previously admitted taking cannabis as a student, added: “It was a long time ago and pretty few and far between. I have never taken cocaine or any class-A drugs.”
“Mind, you, I am a total cunt – that might stand against me a bit.”
Today’s Weather: Hazy
Harold Tweets…My Tweets
- Japanese boy overjoyed Boris is recovering “I’ve trained for 1583 days and I want my revenge”
- Huge increase in coronavirus testing as the Wombles take power
- Delivery van driver now graduate only profession as middle class realise its importance
- Forget Joe Wicks: Michael Gove’s 5PM spin class is nation’s favourite workout
- World wide wahey: delighted animals tell humans to stay on lockdown forever
- UK to give world a bloody good laugh by getting morons to panic buy McDonald’s
- Anti-vaxxers devastated there is no coronavirus vaccine they can refuse to take
- January: still no end in sight.
Join the Harold community on Facebook:
What they’re saying about the Evening Harold!
"Way better than the Guardian" - Jeremy Corbyn
"Ha - this piece of wit contains a lot of truth" - Brian May.
THE REAL BRIAN MAY!!!
"I just love this paper.... site... web thingy. Makes my day, every day" - Phil Burfoot
Most popular stories
Enjoy some older Haroldy goodness
2 Responses to Rees-Mogg admits to using camphorated tincture of laudanum with nanny
Pingback: Rees-Mogg admits to using camphorated tincture of laudanum with nanny | sdbast
Pingback: POLL: Does anybody care about all these Tory leadership hopefuls and their druggie pasts? | Vox Political